Timeline of Controversy (Blog Post #2)

"The idea that these lyrics could be deemed objectionable is extremely hurtful to me, and misleading. The song in fact is about the pain of prejudice and hate and is a way to draw attention to social and political problems. I am the voice of the accused and the attacked. I am the voice of everyone. I am the skinhead, I am the Jew, I am the black man, I am the white man. I am not the one who was attacking. It is about the injustices to young people and how the system can wrongfully accuse them. I am angry and outraged that I could be so misinterpreted."
(Source here)




Time and time again, especially in the social media universe we are surrounded in, biases and prejudices in the legal system tend to arise. Then notion of Michael's song, though often misconstrued or forgotten, is that government negligence and hateful, prejudice peoples are on the rise. The world is falling into a era where minorities are targeted while hate and poverty plagues the world. Ironically iconic for its time, the work calls to light this issues byway of a method a bit controversial. Its use of derogatory terms comes off a bit stark and not entirely effective. 


For example:







Skin head, dead head
Everybody gone bad



The term ‘Skinhead’ refers to members of a movement in the ‘60s and '70s against hippies, and then later against racism. A subgroup of 'Skinheads,’ however, were violent racists and gave the word the negative connotations it has today.


Also:



Jew me, sue me


Everybody do me


Kick me, kike me

Don't you black or white me

The term 'Kike' is an antisemitic remark used against Jewish people.



Both of these excerpts from the song provoked a maelstrom of backlash. Michael was broken, stating "I am the voice of the accused and the attacked. I am the voice of everyone. I am the skinhead, I am the Jew, I am the black man, I am the white man". Michael sought out to reinforce the hateful nature of our legal and social systems, an act seen as civil disobedience, but in my opinion groundbreaking. The reactions towards his lyrics reinforce the nature blatantly: The world and media move quick to critique without clarity in the artists motives and tactics. I believe Michael's manifestation is brilliant in that it elucidates the embedded basis of the song itself.


Join the conversation! 





Comments

  1. I am incredibly impressed by the extensive messages Micheal Jackson was able to express through the short duration of a song. I too believe that the explicit and controversial usage of terms adds to its depth. In addition to the references made to the terrible social injustices occurring throughout the world, did Jackson also mention any legal injustices? If so, what kind and through which means?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Journey through Argument

It Doesn't Matter If You're Black or White or LATINO

Logical Fallacies: Introduction